1. Physical therapy focusing on core strength and flexibility.
2. Weight loss. Weight loss alleviates back pain by reducing stress and strain on your back and decreases damage to disks and joints.
3. Steroid injections may relieve back pain. Steroids and local anesthetics work to decrease inflammation, washout chemicals that cause pain and directly reduce pain often breaking the destructive pain cycle. Steroid injections are an effective treatment for conditions that cause back pain such as arthritis of the spine (called facet arthropathy) and disk disease.
4. Stem Cell Therapy. Disk regeneration is a new therapy where stem cells taken from your hip are injected into your damaged disk to regenerate the disk. The stem cells make new disk cells increasing the fluid and size of the disk reducing back pain and suffering.
5. Endoscopic Laser Discectomy. As the disk wears out, or degenerates, it turns black on MRI, collapses, bulges and may tear causing back pain. Removal of the degenerated disk and treatment of the annular tear has been found to reduce back pain and suffering. The discectomy and annuloplasty can be done with the spinal endoscope. A scope the size of a pencil can be placed through an incision the size of your finger nail. The disk is found and repaired under direct visualization.
6. Endoscopic Fusion. Painful degenerated disks, spinal instability, spondylolithesis may lead to severe back and/or leg pain. This pain can be disabling. Patients that have failed other treatments may be a candidate for fusion surgery. Today fusion surgery can be done through a very small incision with the aid of an spinal endoscopic to reduce soft tissue and bone damage and quicken recovery.
Dr. Spivak is the President of Executive Spine Surgery and is a leader in Endoscopic Laser Spine Surgery. He see patients in New York and New Jersey and teaches doctors his advanced surgical techniques throughout the United States. For more information please call 908-452-5612 or click schedule-an-appointment.